About First Run Theatre
To provide a vehicle for regional playwrights to produce original, unpublished, never-produced works
- Artistic integrity
- Freedom of expression
- Education, training, and development
- Community involvement
- Diversity of talent -- Racial, Religious, Nationality, Gender, Ethnicity, Age, Disability
To become a premiere theatrical venue that will expand and grow into a nationally
and internationally recognized institution
- Identify worthy plays through annual competitions
- Stage high quality productions in a state-of-the-art venue
- Raise funds through grants and gifts, benefit performances, other means
- Encourage the community to support playwrights
- Encourage the community to support local theatrical companies in addition
to First Run Theatre
Why A Try-Out Theatre?
Judith Newmark, Theatre Critic for the St. Louis Post Dispatch says:
"If you're hunting for a theater that accepts inquiries only from St. Louis
area writers, or that notes a special interest in Missouri-Illinois
authors...look, let's put it this way: [Until now] you're not
going to [find it in St. Louis]. Now, however, a new organization
hopes to change the situation. First Run Theatre...solicit[s]
new plays by St. Louis area writers with the intention of producing
two of them [in 2003], more in years ahead."
Mayor Diehlman of Creve Coeur says:
"First Run Theatre represents the kind of performing arts activities which can truly enrich our community. I am pleased to be involved with First Run Theatre and encourage others to fully support this outstanding theatre group."
Phyllis Young, Alderman - 7th Ward says:
"Such a theatre would be welcomed in the St. Louis region...a good addition...that
could draw visitors from throughout the metropolitan area."